Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

Pragmatic Skills & Video Modeling

My coworker and I have started making videos of various pragmatic language skills. I can't wait to share these with you! First of all, they make me laugh. For all of them, we will show a model of what to do and what not to do. The first one (see above) shows you how NOT to initiate conversation when someone is working. Notice, my coworker doesn't even say my name to gain my attention. She's essentially talking to the back of my head.

In this next video, her initiation is a little bit better. She at least addresses me by name to gain my attention.


In this video, she provides a good model of how to initiate conversation....


I can't wait to use these with my students to show them what this looks like. I rarely have another adult in the room or a good peer model, so this is the next best thing! I hope you can use these too!

More to come...
*How to tell others to come to speech/language
*How to maintain conversation
*How to terminate conversation
*Turn taking
*How to change topics
*Making relevant comments
*Expected versus unexpected responses to questions
*Body language
*Eye contact
*Proximity
*Greetings/partings
*Gaining attention of others
*Watching the listener to gauge their reaction
*Polite refusal
*Good sportsmanship
*Joining a conversation
*Using an appropriate voice for the message

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment