Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My First Post!

I've been throwing the idea of starting my own SLP blog and TPT store for awhile now. It's summer and I have some extra time on my hands and I find myself unable to sit still! Let me introduce myself:

My name is Grace and I live in St. Louis, Missouri. I have been happily married for 7 years and have two boys, ages almost 5 and 2.

O & C showing some brotherly love

O messing with his diggers
              
 
We also have an Aussie-Poo named Wyatt. We love living in St. Louis and all it has to offer- free zoo, history museum, art museum, and science museum, plus countless family activities at your finger tips. We love it here!

I work out in St. Charles County at an elementary (K-5) school. It's a bit of a commute, so we're looking at moving closer. Also, my son starts kindergarten in the fall, and there are few options for public school in the city. I am 1 of 2 SLPs in my building and work with K-2 students as well as our transition room students. I work with a wide variety of students on my caseload and love my school!

In 2005, I graduated from Washington University with my bachelor's in Psychology and Biology. I tried working in a neuroscience lab for a bit, but found I was too far removed from helping others. We worked with microscopic worms that looked like this:


Yuck! I looked at these things so much under the microscope that I would see them moving whenever I closed my eyes! It was a lonely job and our work with neurons was far from making medicines. I decided I needed to look for another job - a job that would allow me to directly help others. A bit of soul searching and a Myers-Briggs test pointed me in the direction of speech pathology.

In 2009, I started taking the pre-requisite courses for the SLP grad program at Fontbonne University. I applied for grad school in the spring of 2010 and was accepted (with a scholarship!). I graduated with my master's in 2012 and found a job about a month later. I've been working for 2 years and think this is the job for me! I love how there are always challenges. It forces me to be a life-long learner and I LOVE learning!

That's all for now! Tell me a little bit about you!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Grace, I just wanted to say, "hello" and welcome to the blogging speechie world! My name is Manda and I have speech blog and TpT store too with my sister. We have learned a lot from blogging and creating our own documents and have found it to be a very fun and rewarding experience. I too have two boys like you. Isn't being a Mom the best? I think so anyway! I hope that you enjoy your new adventure into the blogging and creating world. Again, welcome! Manda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome! I've purchased your awesome products before! Love them!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Congrats on your new blog! I started a speech blog last year to chronicle my CF year.
    A few weeks ago I decided to make it a "lifestyle" blog because I have so many other things I want to write about! So I'm in the process of getting mine up and running too.
    I'm impressed with your number of posts already!

    Here's mine if you want to see what I have so far: closetoroam.com

    ReplyDelete